The road not taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost, 1916)
Welcome to The road not taken! This is a sandbox campaign focusing on politics, intrigue and large-scale conflicts. Being a role-playing heavy game of “make it up as you go along” storytelling, it emphasizes character development and choices and consequences. In addition, it is also an ambitious project for collaborative world-building. All participants, players and DM alike, are regularly contributing material that is uploaded to this portal.
The road not taken is currently being run as a Play-by-Post game at The Tangled Web forums. You can find the link to the campaign here. The in-game forums are password-protected due to some adult content. If you do not mind that, please drop by, have a look and tell us what you think! The password is “brick”. All constructive feedback is highly appreciated!
Update: The game has been transferred from the Tangled Web. It is currently hosted at Myth Weavers.
INDEX OF PAGES
- The world
- The story
- Prelude-It is always calm before the storm
- Chapter 1-A war of attrition (Part 1)
- Chapter 1-A war of attrition (Part 2)
- Chapter 1-A war of attrition (Part 3)
- Chapter 1-A war of attrition (Part 4)
- Chapter 1-A war of attrition (Part 5)
- Tales by the fire
- Adventure Log
- Jules Aime Amour (Prologue)
- Caithas Thalornn (Prologue)
- Elana Savain (Prologue)
- Malcom Dominik (Prologue)
- The Spark that Set the Land Ablaze
- The Aftermath and The Beginning
- At a Table With a Wizard
- Tangible Dreams
- The Unrest Grows and the Numbers Swell
- The Golden Eagle
- A Midnight Boat Ride
- An Expanded Outlook
- The Separation of a Quiet Death
- The Temple of Delrodin
- A Fearful Return Home
- The Rising Tide
- The Battle of the Barracks
- Enter Svorinn
- Mechanics and Game Master’s tools